Surrounded by mountains, forest and water in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, those of us who live here have a natural desire to want to protect the environment. Since we all live here together, each of us can take many meaningful steps to make a difference.
What You Can Do
Easy Energy Savers
- Turn out lights that are not in use or not needed.
- Take the stairs whenever possible.
- Limit the amount of water you use while you shower and when brushing your teeth.
- Take advantage of the recycling and composting programs in the residence halls.
- If you haven’t done so already, exchange your room’s incandescent bulb for a free compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulb, which uses three-fourths less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs and lasts up to ten times longer.
- Be reasonable in your use of appliances, and be aware of how much electricity you are using.
- Use a power strip for all appliances, equipment and chargers (except refrigerators), and turn it off when not in use to ensure your electronics are fully powered off and not using vampire energy.
- If you are purchasing an approved appliance such as a refrigerator, microwave oven, television or printer, make sure they have the ENERGY STAR label that shows they promote reduced energy use and reduced impact on the environment.
While In Our Cafés and Restaurants
- Look for the increasing organic and vegetarian/vegan options in the dining facilities.
- Become familiar with the many items that can now go in either the composting or recycle bins.
- Bring your own mug to an HFS café and get drip coffee for $1.35. Espresso drinks are 10 cents off.
We’ll Meet You Halfway
- Less Water: Since 2003, HFS has reduced water consumption by 55 percent (6,000,000 gallons a year) by updating equipment and materials including installing low-flush toilets and waterless urinals.
- Laundry Advancements: New high-efficiency front-loading washing machines use less water and energy, and you can confirm washer and dryer availability in your residence hall by logging on to Laundryview.
- Green Housekeeping: HFS uses cleaning agents classified as "green" products or low-toxicity products based on data supplied by the manufacturer. HFS Custodial Services uses central stations for dispensing cleaning agents into reusable spray bottles.
- Furnishings and Carpets: Mattresses in the residence halls are systematically replaced and recycled. Carpet is also recycled when possible. All carpet and adhesives are certified by the Carpet and Rug Institute's Green Label Program.