Sublicensing is an option for students living in a 12-month apartment who will be away from campus for one quarter during their agreement period and wish to have another student live in their room temporarily.
If you are interested in the sublicense process, please review the following information and the agreement carefully, and contact the Student Services Office if you have any questions.
- Sublicenses will not be permitted without advance written approval from HFS.
- Sublicense requests must be made at least 14 days in advance.
- Sublicensing is only permitted for dates that closely match the academic calendar and for no less than a four week period.
- Sublicensing is not permitted during break periods such as Winter Break or Spring Break.
- Eligibility: Agreement holders are only eligible to sublicense for summer quarter if they are returning to live with HFS for the next agreement period or if they are graduating at the end of spring quarter.
- Eligibility: Only graduate/professional students may sublicense units in Mercer Court D and E.
Terms of Sublicensing—Agreement Holder
- Your housing account must not have any outstanding past due charges at the time your request is made.
- You are responsible for finding your own Sublicensee. You may use our Sublicense Finder Forum if you do not already have someone in mind.
- Both you and your Sublicensee must make a formal request at least 14 days in advance by submitting the Apartment Sublicense Request. A charge of $15 per day will be charged for requests submitted less than 14 days in advance.
- You will be required to meet with a Residential Life staff member, along with your intended Sublicensee, before your request will be approved.
- If your request is approved, you will be assessed a $50 Sublicense Charge. In addition to the Sublicense Charge, you may be assessed a $90 Improper Sublicense Charge if you do not follow proper steps at any point in the process.
- Any financial arrangement between you and your Sublicensee must be made independent of HFS.
- You will remain responsible for all terms of your agreement, including making monthly payments and maintaining the condition of the apartment. You will be charged for any necessary repairs when you vacate, even if the damage was caused by your Sublicensee.
- Eligibility: You must be eligible for the area you will be sublicensing in.
Terms of Sublicensing—Sublicensee
- You must be eligible to live in the unit you want to sublicense.
- You are responsible for connecting with a current Agreement Holder. You may use our Sublicense Finder Forum if you do not already have someone in mind.
- You must make your request by submitting the Apartment Sublicense Request at least 14 days in advance.
- You will be required to meet with a Residential Life staff member, along with the Agreement Holder, before your request will be approved.
- Any financial arrangement between you and the Agreement Holder must be made independent of HFS.
- You will be responsible for upholding the apartment community standards as outlined in Appendix A of the agreement. Agreements are link in the righthand navigation bar on this page.
- The Agreement Holder and Sublicensee are responsible for finding one another. Our Sublicense Finder Forum is available for those wishing to make connections with other parties.
- HFS will review your request to ensure that your sublicensee is eligible.
- HFS will confirm that your sublicense request has been received and reviewed, and you will be directed to meet with Residential Life Staff. Your request will not be fully considered until this step is completed.
- After you meet with Residential Life, HFS notify both of you whether or not your request has been approved. If it is, your notification will include instructions about how and when you may start your sublicense.
Any questions about the sublicense process may be directed to the Student Services Office at 206-543-4059 or firstname.lastname@example.org.