For both a sublicense or agreement takeover, the apartment and
room referred to below is a specific space within an on-campus apartment owned
by HFS. Sublicensees and prospective residents
will only be permitted to move into the room that the current agreement holder
is vacating from. The current agreement holder must still live in their apartment
at the time they register their sublicense or agreement takeover, and cannot
have an agreement termination notice on file. Rooms are accepted in as-is condition and will not be cleaned or inspected by HFS staff prior to the
When a student (sublicensee), with approval by authorized HFS
staff, temporarily occupies a room within an apartment during the absence of
the current agreement holder.
In this case:
- The current agreement holder maintains their agreement with HFS
even though they are not occupying their room and will return as an HFS
resident at the end of the sublicense period, unless graduating at the end of
spring quarter 2017.
- The current agreement holder continues to be responsible for all
charges associated with the room, including monthly charges, charges for
damages and charges for services such as lockout assistance.
- The sublicensee does not sign a housing agreement with HFS for
their sublicense period, but is responsible for maintaining all the community
standards outlined in Appendix A of the 12-month apartment agreement.
- The sublicensee makes their housing payment directly to the
current agreement holder or to HFS on behalf of the agreement holder. Specific
financial arrangements between the agreement holder and sublicensee are made
independent of HFS.
Eligibility for Sublicensing
- The current agreement holder is graduating at the end of spring
- The current agreement holder is returning to HFS housing the
quarter after the sublicense is completed. For summer sublicenses this requires
the agreement holder to have renewed for the following year.
- The sublicense period is for at least four weeks, no longer than one quarter plus adjoining break periods, and closely matches instruction periods
at the UW.
- The sublicensee is a registered UW student. If the sublicense
takes place over autumn, winter or spring quarters, the sublicensee must be
registered for that quarter. If the
sublicense takes place over summer quarter, the sublicensee must have been
registered for spring quarter, be registered for summer or provide
documentation that they will be registered for autumn quarter, and
- The sublicensee meets the requirements for the community they are
requesting to sublicense in:
When a prospective resident is referred to HFS by a current agreement holder and applies for 12-month apartments as a new resident with the
intention of taking over the agreement and room assignment for the agreement holder who is vacating their HFS apartment for the rest of the current
agreement with HFS.
In this case:
- The current agreement holder is vacating permanently and will
not be returning to HFS housing.
- The current agreement holder will be responsible for agreement-replacement processing charges and remains responsible for their housing
charges until the prospective resident moves in.
- The prospective resident will apply for 12-month housing with
HFS, submit a deposit payment, and will sign their own 12-month housing agreement to be maintained for the duration of the current agreement period.
The incoming student can apply for future agreements, but is not guaranteed
assignment to the same room.
- The prospective resident then assumes all responsibilities for the
apartment and becomes a current agreement holder with HFS.
Eligibility for Agreement Takeover
- The current agreement holder is not eligible for the sublicense
- The current agreement holder has not yet submitted an Agreement
- The prospective resident has not already applied or been
assigned to a 12-month apartment for the current term by HFS prior to applying
for agreement takeover.
- The prospective resident must be registered at UW's Seattle campus for
the current term if the takeover begins during autumn, winter or spring quarters. For takeovers requested to begin over summer, they
must have been registered for spring quarter classes or will be registered for
summer quarter classes.
- For autumn and winter quarters, if HFS already has an
established waiting list for a given quarter, agreement takeover requests will
not be considered until the waiting list is exhausted.
- The prospective resident meets the requirements for the
community they are requesting to sign an agreement for:
What's My Role?
The student currently assigned to a room within a 12-month apartment.
An eligible student who is seeking permission from the current agreement holder and HFS to temporarily occupy a room within an apartment as
part of the sublicense process.
A student recruited by a current agreement holder attempting to
break their agreement with HFS who agrees to move in and take responsibility
for the room for the duration of the current agreement.
Finding a Sublicense/Agreement Replacement Partner
forum is available for students to post available apartments and
sublicense/agreement takeover interest. Agreement holders and sublicensees/prospective residents are responsible for finding each other and
agreeing to apply together independent of HFS.
- Sublicenses and agreement replacement will not be permitted
without advance written approval from HFS.
- For summer quarter, both the agreement holder and sublicensee/prospective resident submit their sublicense/agreement replacement request through your Application and
Assignment home page. For all other quarters, contact the HFS Student Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org for
instructions on how to register.
- Once both parties submit the request form, it will be reviewed
by HFS staff to verify eligibility.
- Requests must be made at least 14 days in advance. A late filing
charge ($15 per day) will be assessed, and we cannot guarantee that we will be
able to complete processing of the request by the requested start date.
- We cannot approve requests if either party has past due
charges with HFS.
- HFS will notify both
parties of the outcome of the request. If the request is approved, HFS will
email all parties a confirmation and instructions about how to proceed with
- Students participating in sublicensing will need to view our
online sublicensing presentation and pass a test on sublicensing.
- The agreement holder will be assessed a $50 sublicense/agreement
- If the sublicense/agreement takeover requests are received less than 14 days before the requested start date, a $15 per day late filing charge will also be added.
Once their request is approved, students participating in
agreement takeover will need to take additional steps to complete the process. The current agreement holder
will file their Agreement Termination Notice, and the prospective resident will need to pay their housing deposit and accept the housing agreement.