Checking Out


Please review the following information carefully as you make your plans for moving out of the residence halls.

If you have questions, please contact one of the following offices:

Your Residential Life Office, for questions about:

  • Room inspection
  • Cleaning

Student Services Office, for questions about:

  • Agreement Termination Notice (ATN)
  • Agreement termination charge
  • Late notice charge
  • Your agreement
  • Priority Retention

Your residence hall front desk, for questions about:

  • Checkout process

Read the Move-out Resources page for information about storage, rental references, abandonment and agreement termination by the University.

Checkout instructions for students living in Cedar Apartments, Mercer Court D and E, and Stevens Court K and L can be found on the 12-Month Apartments Checkout Procedures page.

Agreement Termination Notice

If you move out before the end of your agreement period, please submit an Agreement Termination Notice (ATN). You do not need to submit an ATN if you are moving out during spring quarter, or at the end of EFS, Interim or summer quarter.

You are responsible for paying housing and dining charges for the entire quarter in which you check out. You will not receive a refund for any portion of a quarter during which you are in occupancy, regardless of whether or not you are occupying the room.


Quarter Dates
Autumn 2017 September 21–December 16, 2017
Winter 2018 December 17, 2017–March 17, 2018
Spring 2018 March 18–June 9, 2018


If you intend to move out during autumn or winter quarter, submit a residence hall ATN by the deadline shown below.

Vacating during or at the End Of

Agreement Termination Notice Must Be Submitted By

Checkout Deadline

Autumn 2017 October 31, 2017 12 noon on December 16, 2017

Winter 2018

January 31, 2018

12 noon on March 17, 2018

Spring 2018

Prior to vacating

12 noon on June 9, 2017

Summer 2018

Prior to vacating

A Term Only: 5 pm on July 18, 2018
B Term and Full quarter: 
12 noon on August 18, 2018

Please Note

  • If you move out during autumn quarter or winter quarter, you will be charged a $500 agreement termination charge regardless of when you submit your ATN. The fee will be waived if you move out because you will no longer be attending the UW.
  • If you move out before the end of spring quarter, you will not be subject to an agreement termination charge. However, you will be responsible for paying full room and dining charges for spring quarter.
  • If you submit your ATN after the deadline shown in the table above, you will be charged a late termination charge of $15 per day in addition to the agreement termination charge.
  • If you live in the residence halls for any part of a quarter, you will be charged for housing and dining for the entire quarter; charges will not be prorated upon move-out.
  • Any money left on your Dining Account will expire at the end of spring quarter.
  • It is important that you move out on the day you stated in your ATN. If you do not, you may incur improper checkout charges.

Charge Exceptions 

You will not be charged for your agreement termination if you are able to provide documentation that establishes one of the following:

  • you are no longer a registered student at the UW
  • you have been approved by the UW for a hardship withdrawal
  • you are participating in a UW study abroad program for University credit
  • you are being deployed or assigned for services in the armed forces, including the National Guard and armed forces reserves
  • you have completed your academic program, or are graduating.

If you are moving out to participate in a study abroad program or UW-sponsored internship and wish to return to the residence halls when you return to campus, you may request to retain your residence hall assignment priority when you submit your ATN. Additional information about priority retention can be found on the Move-out Resources page.

At Least One Day Prior to Checking Out

  • Make an inspection appointment with your Resident Adviser (RA).
    • If you cannot contact your RA, you may contact another RA in your building by calling the Residential Life Office.
    • If you do not make an inspection appointment at least one day in advance, you may incur improper checkout charges.
  • Update your local address at MyUW and discontinue subscription deliveries.

On Move-out Day

  • Remove all personal belongings from your room, cluster, apartment and/or storage area.
  • Clean your room, cluster and/or apartment. Please review the Cleaning Guidelines carefully to avoid cleaning or repair charges.
  • Return bed parts to the original pickup location, retaining return receipt to complete your checkout.
    • It is your responsibility to return borrowed items or sign over the lease agreement.
    • It is recommended that you call the Custodial Maintenance Office in advance to make arrangements for bed part drop-off.
    • You may transfer your bed parts lease at your residence hall front desk.
  • Complete your room inspection with your RA:
    • Your RA will complete a Room/Apartment Condition Report (RCR).
    • Your RA will ask you to sign the completed RCR prior to sending you to the desk to check out.
  • Within 15 minutes of completing your inspection, check out at your front desk or designated check-out location. You will be asked to present the following:
    • Keys for your room, mailbox, bathroom and/or bike room
    • Bed parts return receipt, if applicable

    Failure to return keys and any temporary access cards will result in charges being applied to your account.

    If you have an unexpired parking permit, return it to Commuter Services. Please note:

    • Parking permits may not be transferred to another individual or vehicle.
    • Your parking permit becomes invalid if you move out of the residence halls before it expires.
    • You will receive a credit for the unused portion of your parking permit after it is returned

Please Note

  • If you move out without returning your keys, you may be charged for a lock change and/or replacement keys.
  • If you do not check out by the assigned deadline you may be assessed a late checkout charge.
  • If any checked-out items are not returned, or are returned in poor condition, you may be charged for replacement, cleaning and/or retrieval labor.
  • You may be subject to improper checkout charges if you fail to complete any step in the Move-out process as instructed.


  • Should you not have any of the required items/paperwork at checkout time, you will be charged. If you feel you are being charged in error, you may contact
  • If any cleaning, repair or final charges are assessed, these will be deducted from your deposit and the balance, if any, will be refunded to you within three weeks or a statement regarding outstanding charges will be forwarded to you.
  • Any applicable refund will be mailed within three weeks of your official vacate date. Please be sure to update your local address at MyUW to ensure your refund is mailed to the proper address.
  • Dining charges for the quarter during which you move out will remain on your Dining Account for use until the end of that quarter. Dining funds are not refundable or transferable to another account or student.

Rental References

You are welcome to list the Student Services Office contact information when asked for a rental reference or rental history verification. Upon receiving a rental reference, HFS will disclose the information requested, typically the dates that you lived on campus, whether or not your account was paid on time and is current, if you vacated properly, and if you are eligible to live with us again.