At the end of autumn quarter, Terry Hall will close permanently, and students living there will be moved to the new Lander Hall, which will open at the end of Winter Break, for the remainder of the academic year.
Why is this happening?
As part of the ongoing West Campus development, Terry Hall will be demolished, along with the appended area that houses Eleven 01 Café. Over the course of the next two years, a new Terry Hall will be built in the same place and another new hall, Maple Hall, will be erected in place of the Eleven 01 Café area, between the new Terry Hall and Lander Hall. As the existing café closes, a new dining facility, Local Point, will open in Lander Hall.
Why should I be excited about this?
Terry Hall, which was built in 1953, has lovingly served generations of campus residents. Now, after 60 years of service, it's time to update.
We've had very positive reviews from students living in Alder Hall, Elm Hall and Poplar Hall. Students really value the additional privacy these new rooms provide, the fine quality of the buildings, the detail put into the decorative elements, and the new amenities such as District Market, Cultivate, Fitness Center West, Learning Resource Center West, etc. When the new Lander Hall opens, it will feel familiar to students who've been in some of these other halls: the same attention to detail, the same level of privacy, and more amenities for your convenience.
As an autumn quarter resident of Terry Hall, you will have the distinction of being the last class to live there, and then starting winter quarter, the first to live in the brand-new Lander Hall. As 2014 begins, you'll ring out the old and ring in the new in a unique way!
How to Move
- Boxes are being borrowed from Boyce Commercial Services and will be available beginning on December 2, 2013.
- Boxes will be picked up from Floor Lounges on floors 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10.
- There will be no limit on boxes.
- Boxes must be returned after they are unpacked in Lander Hall. We will send information regarding the drop-off location in December and January.
Checking out of Terry
- Pack all of the belongings that you would like Boyce Commercial Services to move prior to departing campus for Winter Break 2013.
- Label all of your boxes with a designated label, and stack them neatly in your room prior to your Room Inspection.
- Wardrobes can be left with their clothing content intact but will need a label.
- Mobile pedestals can be left with their content intact but will need a label.
- Micro-fridges must be emptied and cleaned and will need a label.
- Remove your bike from the outdoor bike rack, label it and place it in your room to be moved.
- Pack your items that are going home separately.
- Clean your room and remove all trash.
- Close and secure windows. Make sure to lock them. Close your curtains.
- Leave your heater on. Doing so prevents the pipes from freezing.
- Take any valuables home.
- Remove trash from room.
- Refrigerators need to be defrosted and cleaned.
- Return any food service items to the dining halls. Since it is against policy to keep plates, forks, etc., in residents’ room, any infraction will result in an Incident Report and participation in the Conduct Process.
- Take home your fish! There will not be staff on hand to care for your fish in your absence.
- All items must be unplugged. Wrap your cords to make items easier to move.
- Turn off your lights.
Lock your door.
- Step 1: Change your address online through your MyUW page: 1201 NE Campus Parkway, Room XXX, Seattle, WA 98105.
- Step 2: Residents must return all rented equipment to custodial. Call 206-685-7424 to schedule an appointment. All items must be returned before Friday, December 13, 2013.
- Step 3: You must sign-up for Room Inspections with your RA by Friday, December 6, 2013, at 5 p.m. and at least 24 hours in advance. You can also sign up for your Room Inspection in the Terry Residential Life Office between 1–5 p.m. You must check out and be out of the building by Saturday, December 14, 2013, at noon.
- Step 4: Be on time and completely packed for your appointment! If you are not prepared, your Room Inspection will be considered Improper.
Step 5: Residents should complete the Checkout Form, which they can get from the front desk or online at https://www.hfs.washington.edu/checkoutformfall2013. Return keys and submit paperwork (Checkout Form and Room Condition Report) to the Terry Hall front desk within 15 minutes of room inspection with an RA.
- Through December 6, 2013, sign-up times will be available for Room Inspections with an RA.
- On December 2, 2013, boxes will be available for you to pick up from the Terry Hall study room on the ground floor for you to begin packing your belongings.
- During December 7–14, 2013, complete a Room Inspection with an RA and check out at the Terry Hall front desk.
Housing Charges and Payments
- The housing rate for your Lander Hall room will be higher than the rate for your current Terry Hall room. Rates may be viewed online. Winter quarter housing payments are due on January 1 (Quarterly Payment Plan) or January 10, 2014 (Financial Aid Payment Plan).
- An inconvenience credit of $500 will be applied to your account on December 16, 2013, after you successfully complete the transition requirements and check out as noted above.
- For information about housing charges and payments, please contact the HFS Student Services Office at email@example.com or 206-543-4059.
If you have any questions about the transition process, packing or preparing to move to Lander Hall, please speak with your RA or the Terry Hall Residential Life Office staff.