The UW is one of the country's preeminent leaders in environmental practices. The new West Campus construction will work to achieve a minimum of a LEED Silver rating.
Our West Campus projects will offer an urban eco-lifestyle with:
- Healthier buildings
- Natural daylight
- Reduced energy usage and greenhouse gases
- Development density and community connectivity
- Convenient public transportation access
- Water-efficient landscaping and buildings
- Energy-usage reduction
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) is the United States Green Building Councils (USGBC) system for benchmarking the design and construction of the world's greenest buildings.
Benefits of Green Building
- Environmental—reduce the impacts of natural resource consumption
- Economic—improve the bottom line
- Health and safety—enhance occupant well-being
- Community—minimize the strain on local infrastructures and improve the quality of life
There are four different thresholds for LEED certification that recognize varying levels of achievement: Certified, Silver, Gold and Platinum.