Residential Life Firearm and Gunfire Protocol
HFS considers your safety to be the highest priority and we need you to be a partner in this effort. For your safety, please read the following information carefully. Should you see a firearm, hear gunfire or hear a suspicious noise that sounds like gunfire, please follow these procedures to ensure your safety and the safety of others.
Do not investigate the situation!
- Go somewhere safe and secure. If you are in a room, remain inside and lock the door. Find a safe space in the room, concealed and away from windows, and remain there.
- If possible, call 911 to report the situation to authorities. Dialing 911 from a cell phone may direct you to the Seattle Police Department (SPD). The SPD will transfer your call to the UW Police Department (UWPD). If you cannot get through to the dispatcher immediately, stay on the line and your call will be answered. Be prepared to report the following information to the police:
- Your name
- Your location including physical address
- Your phone number
- What you heard
- Where the noise came from
- Any other specific information relevant to the situation
- If possible, call your Resident Adviser, Community Assistant or other HFS authority to notify them of the situation and your location. Once you have reported the incident via telephone, your only concern is to ensure your own personal safety and that of your family.
- In a situation in which a known threat to the safety of residents is present, HFS will use email to communicate information to you, but do not compromise your safe position in the room or apartment to read email.
- Do not leave your location until specifically directed to do so by the UWPD, SPD or an HFS authority. This may involve officers entering your room or apartment to provide personal instructions and may be delayed depending on the nature of the situation. Please follow all instructions and listen carefully to the appropriate authority.
- If asked to evacuate the immediate area, follow the HFS Fire Safety Evacuation Procedure unless otherwise instructed by the UWPD or SPD.